Back to Top

‘Naive’ Sydney United defence in costly errors


Both Sharks and Sydney United 58 were keen for the victory points, which went to the home side, 3-1 winners. Picture: Football NSW.

After leading 1-0 at half time, Sydney United 58 conceded three second half goals to go down to the Sutherland Sharks on Saturday night.

On a chilly evening at Seymour Shaw Park at Miranda it was an uncompromising opening quarter hour, as expected, with few clear cut chances but no lack of full bloodied commitment from two teams desperate for the three premiership points.

It was to be United who hit the lead in the 38th minute when a Nikas corner was clinically met by Mitch Stamatellis to head home.

On the resumption Sutherland started brightly once more but couldn’t find the killer pass until Jovovic rose at the back stick to powerfully head past the goalkeeper.

At 1-1 it was game on with everything to play for.

The home side burst into the lead five minutes later when Park pulled the ball back inside the area for O’Connell to run onto and lash home with the left peg.

The Sharks added a third in the 66th minute when Tratt found himself on the end of a looping cross from the left.

“We were caught out of position for their second but overall I felt we kept our shape well throughout the game and that was lacking last week. It’s always tough to come here and those little moments can hurt you and it did tonight.

“I’m pleased we kept our heads up and created chances that could have put us back in the game but we didn’t take them and full credit to Sutherland they saw the game out and kept us at bay. It was an improvement on last week but we need to cut out the lapses of concentration if we are get back on the winning trail and we need to do that quickly.”


Marconi Stallions 1-2 Bonnyrigg White Eagles;

Sutherland Sharks 3-1 Sydney United 58 FC;

Rockdale City Suns 0-1 Blacktown Spartans;

Manly United 1-2 APIA Leichhardt Tigers;

Sydney Olympic 0-1 Parramatta FC;

Blacktown City 4-0 South Coast Wolves.

We Support