Back to Top

Grand final: Complete shutout as Picton win third premiership in a row


Shutout: Picton Magpies celebrate their 46-0 Group Six grand final win over Camden yesterday at Campbelltown Sports Ground.

The Picton Magpies may have won their third Group 6 premiership after their 46-0 complete shut out of arch rivals Camden, but not a single person could have predicted their absolute domination in the 2015 decider.

Indeed Camden demolished Picton just two weeks earlier in the qualifying semi final, and the Rams seem to have had the measure of the Magpies all season. But the Magpies have shown grit all season and put one on Camden when it really counted, as MIKE SHEAN reports from Sunday’s grand final at Campbelltown Sports Stadium.

Picton’s black and white army is celebrating a trifecta of consecutive Group 6 Rugby League premierships after a 46-0 demolition of Camden in the 2015 grand final.

On a perfect spring Sunday afternoon, the Magpies put on a ruthless performance in front of a massive crowd, estimated to be more than 4,000 fans, which exceeded the 2014 attendance at Campbelltown Stadium.

Picton almost made the perfect start, with a break made in the opening minute, but fullback and captain Michael Lett wasn’t able to handle the final pass, and the ball went to ground.

Camden almost replied in kind, with a long break in their first set, but a forward pass broke down their play at the key moment.

Picton celebrate another four pointer over Camden.

Picton celebrate another four pointer over Camden.

Anthony Provost opened the scoring for Picton with a penalty goal after five minutes.

Both sides then settled into a physical and tough style of football, with little action on the scoreboard, but there was plenty of action on the field.

Lee Russell suffered an injury around 18 minutes in, and Chris Browne took a heavy tackle shortly after, but neither side could break the scoring drought.

The scoreboard came to life again when Michael Lett crossed after a broken play opportunity saw him cross the line for an 8-0 lead.

Almost immediately afterwards Nick Taylor scored and the Magpies led 14-0, but Camden were still in the hunt, as the halftime siren sounded minutes later.

Whatever was said in the Camden rooms at halftime obviously didn’t work, as the Magpies continued their rout in the second half.

Billy Carroll scored five minutes after the resumption, and that try seemed to break the spirit and hearts of the Camden players and supporters alike.

Matt Dengate then scored a long range try which came out of nothing, and the Picton faithful were daring to dream, as the scoreboard showed 26-0 in their favour.

The final turning point of the match came just after the hour mark, when Camden prop and former NRL star Ray Cashmere was sent off for a headbutt following an incident from a tackle.

The dismissal was the final nail for the Rams, who never recovered from the loss of such a key player.

Don Thompson and Michael Lett’s second try sealed the result, which had been secure for some time, before Josh McIlvenny and Rory Vale added late tries to send the healthy Picton supporter base into raptures.

Picton co-coach Bryce Poisel couldn’t believe the 46-0 final score when speaking after the game, and said he knew his side had the potential to deliver this type of result.

Hooker Anthony Provost was named Man of the Match, as the Magpies celebrated a third straight title and domination of the Group Six competition.

In the lower grade grand finals, Oakdale upset Camden 23-22 in a golden point reserve grade thriller, Campbelltown City defeated Camden 32-18 in the under 18-1 match, Narellan accounted for Mt Annan 34-16 in second division, while the under 18-2 match was won by Campbelltown City 16-14 over Mittagong in the opening grand final clash of the day at Campbelltown Sports Stadium.


We Support